Cars 201 | Affordable Cars for College Students
Getting around as a college student may be easy if you're studying in a big city like San Francisco or New York. But what if you're a student in a small college town? Getting your own car is the natural solution. With Boro, getting a car loan is possible even if you don't have a social security number or credit history in the U.S.
So, which cars should you set your sights on? Here are 9 of the best cars for college students. Great for your budget, these rides make it easier to get to your part-time job, go for grocery shopping, pick up friends at the airport or go on a road trip with your friends on your own terms.
1. Nissan Versa: This compact car has more leg room that meets the eye. Even a brand new model only costs about $10,700, and the gas mileage is 29 miles per gallon. Parallel parking on campus will be simple in this small, efficient car.
2. Volkswagen Jetta: The Jetta has been around for a long time, and it remains popular among students. Brand new, the price tag starts at about $17,000, so a used model is well within the budget of someone seeking a small car payment.
3. Kia Rio: The Kia Rio is compact and sporty, and the price of new models is just under $13,000. If you want a car that can easily zip around city streets, this is a good option. It also has a 5-year warranty.
4. Toyota Prius: The Prius is known for being very quiet and energy efficient. Because it's electric, it hardly uses any gas. When the electric charge runs out you will get 50 miles per gallon in the city, and an impressive 58 MPG on highways. Prius can be a great option for those of you who live in the areas where gas price is high.
5. Honda Fit: The Honda Fit has been ranked #1 by U.S. News and World Report in the subcompacts and hatchbacks categories. Sleek and compact, the Fit costs $16,000 brand new and has a flexible cargo area -- it's a great car if you want to go camping a lot or want to fit multiple luggage when driving to and from the airport. And if you are looking for a used car, you can easily get one under $10,000.
6. Subaru Crosstrek: This small SUV/hatchback is a little spendier. New models retail for $22,000, but if you have the budget for it you won't regret the purchase. This car is especially good for driving in rainy or snowy conditions, so students in places like Boston, Seattle and Chicago will love it.
7. Hyundai Elantra: If you're looking for a stylish car with a long warranty, the Elantra comes it at about $15,000. It's also known for having a sound system that is easy to customize, so if you plan on being in the car a lot listening to music, this vehicle is a good choice. The previous models are even more affordable.
8. Honda CR-V: If you need something a little bigger, the Honda CR-V is a smart choice in the compact SUV department. U.S. News and World Report give the vehicle a score of 8.9 out of 10 based on factors like performance and safety. Brand new the SUV can be a little expensive but used models are well within the budget of most students.
9. Ford Focus: This is no double a popular sedan that you would often see on campus. You could get a 2013 model within $8,000 to $9,000 budget. And if you would like to put it on a car loan, your monthly payment could be less than $200. The car is also practical and roomy, so it will last you long after graduation.
Are you a student in need of some new wheels? Getting an auto loan through Boro is quick and painless. Soon, you'll have your own car to drive around campus and explore your city on your own schedule.